Recipe | Cream of Pumpkin Soup

by - April 08, 2022



This Cream of Pumpkin Soup is a favourite that I enjoy making (and eating) during the cooler months of the year, and its a hit with the family as well.

I like to use a blend of Butternut and Kent (Japanese) pumpkins. Occasionally I roast them first, but most of the time I don't. The soup is delicious topped with a dollop of cream.



The Cream of Pumpkin Soup recipe I use is taken from Country Classics by CWA Australia and was submitted by Susan Gass of Simpson, Victoria. 

If you are looking to purchase a copy of this book at a reasonable price I suggest searching on eBay Australia for ISBN: 9780670070374.




Cream of Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients:

30g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon flour
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1kg cooked pumpkin, mashed
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk (or 1/2 cream and 1/2 milk)
cream and chopped chives or parsley, to serve



Method

Melt butter and saute onion until soft. Stir in flour and cook until bubbling. Remove from heat and blend in stock. Stir over the heat until boiled and thickened. Add mashed pumpkin, sugar, curry powder, ginger, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add milk and heat without boiling. When serving, add a dollop of cream and sprinkle with chives or parsley.

NOTES: 

  • I use 1 1/2 to 2 medium-size uncooked pumpkins
  • I always blend the soup with a stick blender to remove any unwanted lumps of pumpkin or onions - you want your pumpkin soup to be creamy!

I hope you enjoy this cream of pumpkin soup as much as I and my family do - it's lovely eaten the day after making too, as the flavours develop.

Enjoy!

x M

You May Also Like

0 comments